Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My storage solution...

I've been looking for a type of storage unit for my growing polish collection. I considered getting a helmer from Ikea but I didn't want to spend $40 and then an additional $20+ for shipping since there is no Ikea in Wisconsin. So I decided to keep looking around to see what I could find.

After work one day I went to one of my local Goodwill store to see what I could find....

I found this....

If you don't know what this is then that means I must be old lol. This is one of those storage units people used to organize their VHS tapes lol. I looked at it for a few minutes and started to see some real potential. I ended up buying 2 of them for $0.99 each.. I figured that if it didn't work out I would only be out $2 lol.

Here is what the drawers look like inside....

I decided that to give me a little more room in the drawers I decided to try and "remove" the little divider things. This is what I ended up with...
So all in all it really worked out great. depending on the size of the bottles I can get about 45-50 bottles in each drawer which is about 100 bottles per unit.

I also used labels so I knew what is in each drawer. I separated my polishes by brand.. I know a lot of girls organize by color but I prefer by brand for some reason lol
So I had the 2 units and some white drawer things I had bought a couple weeks before that... This is what it all looked like...
Both of these were almost full already lol.... So I found myself at another Goodwill :) I decided to look around to see if I could find more. I got lucky. I found 4 identical units but they were $1.99, but that still beats $40+ and they work just as good.

So here is what I have right now. I have one empty unit that I didn't need just yet so I put it aside for when I do. The drawers aren't totally full, there is plenty of room for growth with these units....
Not sure if you can see it but the drawer labled "L.A. Colors" is cracked... Yeh I had a dumb moment and I was trying to take a picture of the polish in the drawer and just after I took the picture the drawer fell out and the polish went every where lol. But it still works find, it's just cosmetic.

So what do you think of my solution?? Do you think you would give this a try? Did you find a different solution besides a helmer? Please leave any comments or questions below and don't forget to follow by blog. Thanks for reading!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My. GOSH I wish I still had those old cassette drawers, now. We had 'em in both VHS and Beta. Showing age FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an awsome idea for storage. Seeing as now we watch dvds or netfix. hehe save the enviroment and save your checking account!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your looking for some of them I would suggest going to any type of Goodwill store, of Salvation Army or even thrift shops or rummage sales. They aren't too hard to find if you look for them :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave any comments or questions you may have. I can also be reached at ravensekhmet@gmail.com